Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Bahman M. b.movaqar at adempiere.org
Tue Oct 23 05:09:03 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-22 Donovan R. Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of
> reasons become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there
> any ex or current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it
> is to make the shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular
> which has been written which would be useful to read?

I've been a Linux user for more than 6 years until 4-5 months ago when
I found some old 20GB HDD and decided to give FreeBSD a try.  Believe
it or not after 1 month of playing with FreeBSD I removed my Linux
installation from the main HDD and installed FreeBSD as the main and
only OS on my machine!  So, as you can see it'll be an easy shift for
an average Linux user -like me.

In fact many concepts are similar to those of Linux however there are
differences.  What I did for learning FreeBSD was
1. Reading the documentation -when required- that is bundled in FreeBSD
installation disks and also is available online on www.freebsd.org.
2. Reading man pages.
3. Subscribing to Questions, Current and Stable mailing lists
(www.freebsd.org).

You're not likely to become a FreeBSD expert in 1 month but in my
experience I was feeling friendly and at home in FreeBSD after about
1.5 months.

Bahman