Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Tim Judd tjudd2k at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 22 20:30:39 PDT 2007

I subscribe to the digest, so below is a copy/paste of the
question/mail i'm replying to:

----- QUOTE:
Hi,

I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of
 reasons
become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make
 the
shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been
 written
which would be useful to read?

T.I.A.
----- /QUOTE

You will get differencing opinions, views, and methods to FreeBSD.
What seems to be generally recommended as a good and very true info is
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

A few more, such as onlamp.com, oreillynet.com and a few more pages
really focus, and have a dead-on correct view, implementation and view
of the BSD systems.

Personally, I see FreeBSD the most mature, OpenBSD the most secure, and
NetBSD as the most portable.  DesktopBSD and PC-BSD on the desktops.  I
run FreeBSD on my desktop, but I'm willing to spend the little more
time to have the name FreeBSD there.  :)

FreeBSD's 7.0 release is just around the corner, and on one of the
developer's blogs (search this mailing list archives for the link) --
FreeBSD 7.0 is wanting to be released before the new year.  Lots of
people are dying for it to be released.  I'm downloading the BETA1
right now, and gonna start throwing it on machines to help them test.

Donovan, the most important thing that I can help you in your
transition to FreeBSD is the fact that it may look like, feel like, and
play like XYZ Linux distribution.  But under the hood, is an entirely
different engine.  Take your time, it IS a different world and you WILL
have to re-learn many things.  Keeping this in mind, should make your
FreeBSD transition one of the most entertaining, and useful transitions
you could do.

So the fact that your subject is a question, my answer is "not likely,
if you have the time for it."

--Tim

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door.
"I can" is a way of life.
More and Bigger is not always Better.
The road to success is always uphill.