Is it difficult to move from Linux?

John Murphy freebsd001 at freeode.co.uk
Mon Oct 22 19:07:58 PDT 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:33:57 +0100
"Donovan R. Palmer" <donovan at dmpnet.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?

I have very little experience of Linux; I 'found' FreeBSD long before
I had even heard of it! I read an article recently which expresses
what it was like for someone who recently converted:

http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?title=the_bsd_community_compared_to_the_linux_&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

I've heard some Linux users complain about the installer. Words like
"arcane" were used. If you think you may struggle with that, then may
I reccommend PC-BSD. I've been using it on a spare PC for a while now
and really like it. It's installer is better than any of the few Linux
distros I've tried. It's based on FreeBSD of course (Stable I believe).

As for what to read; The Handbook is a must:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

--
Thanks, John.