Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Mike Jeays mike.jeays at rogers.com
Mon Oct 22 17:24:22 PDT 2007

On October 22, 2007 02:33:57 pm Donovan R. Palmer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?
>
> T.I.A.

I think it is a very easy shift.  It doesn't take long to learn that the file
structure is a bit different - as an easy example, many things in /usr/bin in
Linux are in /usr/local/bin in FreeBSD.  The FreeBSD Handbook is a superb
resource, bringing everything together in a single document.  For a system
running KDE or GNOME, it is hard to tell the difference.  The software
installation system (source-based ports or binary packages) are about as easy
to use as apt-get or its equivalents.

--
Mike Jeays
http://www.jeays.ca