Is it difficult to move from Linux?

Benjamin M. A'Lee bma+lists at subvert.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 16:47:34 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:33:57PM +0100, Donovan R. Palmer wrote:
> I have been using Linux for over 10 years, but have for a number of reasons
> become very interested in learning to use FreeBSD. Are there any ex or
> current Linux users here and could you tell me how hard it is to make the
> shift from Linux?  Is there anything in particular which has been written
> which would be useful to read?

Depends, really. For the average desktop user, there's no difference
whatsover - Gnome, KDE, etc., are basically identical on both platforms.
From an administration point of view, things are in different places - but
if you've used more than a couple of GNU/Linux distributions you may have
encountered this anyway.

The only difficulty I've had is in portability of things like shell
scripts and Makefiles between the two; options supported in one version of
a program may not always be supported in the other and/or may
work differently (this isn't to say BSD is worse, just different).

A couple of links:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2004/11/11/FreeBSD_Basics.html
http://www.over-yonder.net/~fullermd/rants/bsd4linux/bsd4linux1.php

--