reverse DNS resolution...

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Mon Oct 22 16:17:18 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007, Eric F Crist wrote:
>Hey folks,
>
>We're trying to get reverse DNS resolution for a block of IPs
>(private).  We've had the 10.x network working great at the office
>for quite some time now, but I'm having a problem getting the
>172.30.x network to work.
>
>Typing 'host <ip>' returns a valid result, however output from who,
>as well as other network services (IRC, apache) only see the IP.  Is
>there something I'm missing?

You will have to set up local DNS configuration for private
addresses, including the appropriate in-addr.arpa. PTR records.
The exact file format depends on what DNS software you're using,
bind, djbdns, etc.

Bill

Manual, n.:
	A unit of documentation.  There are always three or more on a
	given item.  One is on the shelf; someone has the others.  The
	information you need is in the others.
		-- Ray Simard