defend from -> :() { :&:; } ;:

Gary Kline kline at tao.thought.org
Mon Oct 22 14:25:46 PDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 06:44:18PM +0200, Martin Tournoij wrote:
> On Sun 21 Oct 2007 12:10, Danielisz Laszlo wrote:
> > Please do not try to execute this: :() { :&:; } ;: on your BSD machine.
> > I ask all who already tried it how to defend from this?
>
> Wow,, my machine just crashed :-/
> Does in this work on other OS's as well (ie. GNU/Linux)? Or just
> (Free?)BSD? I really don't feel like crashing another machine right
> now...
>
> Only works in sh, not in csh.
>
> Anyway, this seems to be security/stability issue, maybe a PR is in
> order?
>
> Regards,
> Martin Tournoij

	If this *is* only a /bin/sh bug, then it maybe time to issue a
	PR.  Remember that *our* "Bourne" shell is really "a shell" or
	ash.  I remember hacking on this and playing with it back in tha
	late 80's.

	It might be time to use zsh as the FBSD /bin/sh

	gary

--
  Gary Kline  kline at thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix