Xmodmap (or .xinitrc?) broken after xorg upgrade

Chris Hill chris at monochrome.org
Sun Oct 21 17:39:05 PDT 2007

About a week ago, I updated my ports, including xorg. Now xmodmap isn't
running from ~/.xinitrc like it used to.

My .xinitrc is the same as it's been for years, so it includes the lines
if [ -f $usermodmap ]; then
     xmodmap $usermodmap
fi

After some experimenting, I find that if I run
$ xmodmap .Xmodmap
$ xmodmap .Xmodmap
...twice, as shown, in an xterm after X gets going - then my .Xmodmap
takes effect.

If I comment out that section of ~/.xinitrc, then I only have to run
$ xmodmap .Xmodmap
once in an xterm. I would like not to have to run xmodmap manually at
all, but have .xinitrc take care of it, just as it used to be before the
upgrade.

Any ideas? Many thanks in advance.

Chris Hill               chris at monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]