ccache and DESTDIR for ports?

Gabor Kovesdan gabor at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 21 13:12:25 PDT 2007

Erik Cederstrand escribió:
> Hi!
>
> I'm installing a small set of ports into lots of jails, using the
> DESTDIR support recently added to the ports system. Each jail contains
> a unique CVS revision of FreeBSD. I'd like to speed up compiles by
> using ccache, but as I understand it, I'll have to install ccache into
> each jail since the DESTDIR implementation chroot's into the jail.
Yes, probably you will have to do so.

> Can I install ccache in each jail first and simply hardlink
> /somejail/root/.ccache to /root/.cache before continuing compiling the
> other ports? Or is that asking for trouble, since each jail might have
> a different gcc installed?
I have to admit, that I haven't used ccache so far, thus I don't know if
it's just a wrapper before any GCC version or it is linked strictly or a
specific version. If you compile ccache in each jail and set up the
environment variables precisely (CC, CFLAGS, whatever you need), you
must succeed.
As for hardlinks, I don't know what to except in general, if you have to
pull in something to a jail, I recommend nullmounting. This can easily
be done with DESTDIR_MOUNT_LIST, take a look at the documentation of
bsd.destdir.mk.

Regards,

--
Gabor Kovesdan