mplayer / snd_hda / Xorg; "intel" driver problem

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Sun Oct 21 10:36:33 PDT 2007

Not so long ago I aquired a new laptop. Appart from some issues which
were to be expected everything works fine; appart from one thing: When
playing videos with mplayer it hangs up
my system at random times( Mostly within half an hour of videplayback
though ) . The video-playback stops, sound blocks and I can't acces my
laptop anymore; not even switch to tty0 to check for debug messages.

My guess is it has something to do with either the audio or the
videodriver, respectively snd_hda and the "intel" driver in Xorg. So I
did 2 tests, without gaining any additional knowlege however:

I tried unloading the snd_hda module and sound modules and play the
video to see if there was a problem with the video-part. I let it ran
for a couple of hours and everything seemed to be fine

The second thing I tried was just using mplayer -vo null and playing the
video. Same as the above test; it ran fine for a couple of hours straight.

So no I have no Idea anymore what I could do to determine whatever is
going wrong. I hope someone else has an idea or might have a pointer to
what I could do to gain more information about this. The relevant system
data:

frank at Rena# uname -a
FreeBSD Rena.FStaals.net 8.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT #0: Sat Oct 13
12:59:51 CEST 2007
root at Rena.FStaals.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386

frank at Rena# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   15 0xc0400000 923830   kernel
 2    1 0xc0d24000 14e24    snd_hda.ko
 3    2 0xc0d39000 52a08    sound.ko
 4    1 0xc0d8c000 6b270    acpi.ko
 5    1 0xc5672000 11000    ext2fs.ko
 6    1 0xc592a000 22000    linux.ko
 7    1 0xc5a2d000 6000     i915.ko
 8    1 0xc5a33000 f000     drm.ko

frank at Rena# mplayer --version
MPlayer dev-SVN-r24813-4.2.1 (C) 2000-2007 MPlayer Team
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7300  @ 2.00GHz (Family: 6, Model:
15, Stepping: 10)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

frank at Rena# dmesg -a | grep pcm
pcm0: <Intel 82801H High Definition Audio Controller> mem
0xfe9fc000-0xfe9fffff irq 21 at device 27.0 on pci0
pcm0: [ITHREAD]
pcm0: <HDA Codec: Sigmatel (Unknown)>
pcm0: <HDA Driver Revision: 20070710_0047>

frank at Rena# dmesg -a | grep agp
agp0: <Intel GM965 SVGA controller> on vgapci0
agp0: detected 7676k stolen memory
agp0: aperture size is 256M

my xorg config; ( which is just basically what X --configure generated )
: http://fstaals.net/junk/xorg.conf

Regards,

--
-Frank Staals