Postfix woes

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Sat Oct 20 06:22:54 PDT 2007

On October 19, 2007 at 05:44PM Rem P Roberti wrote:

[ ... ]

> This is a follow-up.  My friend arrived back home and I explained the
> problems that I was having.  He said, simple, remark out
> postfix_enable="YES" in your rc.conf.  I did.  Problem solved.  Now I
> have neither postfix_enable, or sendmail_enable in my rc.conf, and
> everything boots without a hitch.  This, of course, flies in the face
> of everything that I have heard or read about configuring this program.
> When I asked what was starting the program if those entries were no
> longer operating he said the shell script contained in rc.d.
>
> I need to give this a rest.

1) Did you install Postfix from ports?

2) Did you read the information available at:

http://www.csua.berkeley.edu/~ranga/notes/freebsd_postfix.html
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

3) Are you now implying that postfix starts even though you have it disabled in
the /etc/rc.conf file?

You should not have had Sendmail and postfix running at the same time anyway.

Besides you /etc/rc.conf file, do you also have a /etc/rc.conf.local file? If
so, what does it contain. I am assuming that you never touched the
/etc/defaults/rc.conf file. If you did alter it, that was a mistake.

Postfix is not simply starting on its own. Somewhere, somehow, something is
starting it.

--
Gerard