Updating Ports

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Fri Oct 19 06:22:11 PDT 2007

RW writes:

>  > 	3) It is possible to put port-related settings in
>  > /etc/make.conf.  I discourage this, as that file gets used for
>  > /every/ make session and I consider it asking for trouble to clutter
>  > it with items that may accidentally overlap with another port.  (The
>  > risk is very small ... but it's still not the right tool for the
>  > job.)
>
>  People tend argue that the other way around, that putting port build
>  settings in a configuration file that's specific to a single tool is
>  wrong.

	And I agree in part.  On the other hand, how many use multiple
configuration tools?
	If there were something that applied to _every_ port - say a
compiler flag - I'd probably be OK with putting it in make.conf.

>  You don't have to set anything globally in make.conf, you can do it
>  like this:
>
>  .if ${.CURDIR:M*/net-mgmt/net-snmp}
>  WITH_TKMIB=yes
>  .endif

	That looks good.

>  and that can be simplified by using portconf, which puts a single
>  line in make.conf and reads in the settings from its own
>  configuration file.

	This as well, though I see it as reducing (in practice) to my
solution.

				Robert Huff