best way to run vista inside freebsd

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Thu Oct 18 21:40:16 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 15:13:29 -0700
Predrag Punosevac <punosevac at math.arizona.edu> wrote:

> Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
> > I want to run vista (windows) on my freebsd (amd64) machine without
> > rebooting what is better wine or an vm emulator (if so which one... I
> > know how to use vmware but never done so on a *nix machine)

> I do not have Windows on any of my machines but I have heard that
> Win4BSD is really good. It is not free! I believe it is about
> $45.

$45 is far cheaper than EMC's VMWare workstation edition. Does it support Vista
now? interesting..you can also try QEMu, on which Win4BSD is partly based .

btw, I thought vmware wkstation  wouldnt work on fbsd...? has that changed? I
know there is an old port hanging around, but that is quite old.. a linux
license for VMWare Workstation is needed.

{Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome

"It is a lesson which all history teaches wise men, to put trust in ideas, and
not in circumstances." Emerson

Warned.