Two questions about UNIX(r) certification.

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu Oct 18 10:47:58 PDT 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Dan Mahoney, System Admin wrote:
>> I recently noticed that Apple's new OS, Leopard, is Unix certified.
>
> "UNIX Certified" what the #@$#$@ does that mean as far I know no one is
> in a position to make such a statement except maybe the current owner of
> the Unix trademark (sco if I am not mistaken)

>From here:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/300.html#unix

Mac OS X is now a fully certified UNIX operating system, conforming to
both the Single UNIX Specification (SUSv3) and POSIX 1003.1. Deploy
Leopard in environments that demand full UNIX conformance and enjoy
expanded support for open standards popular in the UNIX community such as
the OASIS Open Document Format (ODF) or ECMAs Office XML.

>> I'd imagine that the big reason that FreeBSD hasn't done this yet is:
>> It costs a lot of money.
>
> And give SCO a reason to actually consolidate it's illegitimate claim to
> be the steward of Unix when there is no such thing beyond the holder of
> the trademark.
>>

>> That said, if in theory one were to try to get the operating system
>> certified (say, to increase awareness and market share versus the
>> penguinistas)...
>>
>> a) approximately how much money is "a lot"?
>>
>> and
>>
>> b) How far short, technically, does FreeBSD fall from the standard
>> (we'll ignore operational semantics for the time being)
>
> MacOS-X is FreeBSD at it's core thus we are ready now (actually all
> that is required is POSIX complience)

Well, apple has also made changes to the OS in some ways, which was why I
was asking.

--

"Don't think of it as beer, think of it as a flavored motor oil."

-Jeremiah Kristal, on Guinness
3/29/05, 9:52 AM