NIS interoperability with Linux, was Re: Following directions doesn't seem to work: Adding users in NIS

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Oct 18 07:46:09 PDT 2007

Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> writes:

> Lowell Gilbert wrote:
>> Manolis Kiagias <sonicy at otenet.gr> writes:
>>

>>> I've read this the first time I tried and decided not to go with it.
>>> The manual says:
>>> "If you plan to use a FreeBSD system to serve non-FreeBSD
>>> clients that have no support for password shadowing (which is
>>> most of them), you will have to disable the password shadowing
>>> entirely by uncommenting the UNSECURE=True entry in
>>>  /var/yp/Makefile."
>>>
>>> Linux certainly uses password shadowing, and I can see in my debian
>>> server maps passwd.byname and shadow.byname files
>>> If I perform ypcat passwd.byname from a client I get the standard passwd
>>> file with no passwords (exactly like /etc/passwd)
>>> The encrypted passwords are in the shadow.byname map.
>>>
>>> Now, if I understand correctly, the above solution would put the
>>> passwords in the passwd.byname map, thus making the system less secure,
>>> where in fact I should be able to make FreeBSD export a shadow.byname
>>> map that would be compatible with Linux.
>>> Am I missing something here / are my assumptions wrong?
>>>

>> I think you are assuming that Linux uses password shadowing over NIS.
>> This is not possible, and no system does it.
>>
>> The FreeBSD security method in question just forces requests for the
>> password maps to come from privileged ports.  This is a very minor
>> security method, and other systems don't support it.
>>
>> Fundamentally, NIS assumes that you trust the machines you are
>> serving.  Or at least are willing to let them have the encrypted
>> passwords.  No OS can change this; it's not a Linux/FreeBSD issue.
>>

> I have experimented a bit further with my debian NIS server, and this is
> what I found:
>
>>From a NIS client, I can do with my standard user account:
>
> sonic at atlantis:~$ ypcat passwd.byname
> user1:x:1010:1010:Joe User,,,:/home/user1:/bin/bash
>
> and I get the standard, world-readable password file (the one without
> the passwords)
> However, the standard user cannot run:
>
> This is the answer:
> sonic at atlantis:~$ ypcat shadow.byname
> No such map shadow.byname. Reason: No such map in server's domain
>
> As root, however:
> root at atlantis:~# ypcat shadow.byname
> user1:$1$1233245435435345543545345sfsdfsfdf:13577:0:99999:7:::
>
> This seems to be consistent with the FreeBSD NIS Server behaviour
> described in nis(8) manual page:
>
> " To help prevent this, FreeBSD's NIS server handles the shadow password
>      maps (master.passwd.byname and master.passwd.byuid) in a special
> way: the
>      server will only provide access to these maps in response to requests
>      that originate on privileged ports.  Since only the super-user is
> allowed
>      to bind to a privileged port, the server assumes that all such requests
>      come from privileged users.  All other requests are denied:
> requests from
> [...]

Hmm.  What you're saying makes sense; unfortunately, I haven't had a
network configured this way in a while, so I'm rather rusty on the
details.  It sounds as though this is just a matter of the map names.
Perhaps you could handle that with nicknames?

I believe that the master.passwd.byname map is in the same FreeBSD-
specific format as master.passwd, but that on all systems
passwd.byname is the standard old format that YP always used.

In most (not all, but most) cases, I don't think it's worth worrying
about the "secure" modes available, whether you're taking the FreeBSD
or the Linux map names and formats.  It's based on the assumption that
someone untrusted can be on your network but can't use low-numbered
TCP ports.  This is unusual in my experience.

Good luck.