Why 7.0 is so late ?

Ivan Voras ivoras at freebsd.org
Wed Oct 17 10:30:02 PDT 2007

Gueven Bay wrote:

> So, but the original question was : What is not working _now_  at this
> moment so that 7 cannot be released _now_ ?

I can think of several issues of the top of my head:

- rt_check bug in network routing causes panics under certain
circumnstances (my favorite)
- ZFS relatively often panics the system under high load
- Something's also wrong with UFS under certain circumstances (this one
hasn't bit me yet)

Of these, first one has a patch (as of yesterday) that is very likely to
solve the problem, the second has a temporary-looking patch to patch
around the problem, and the third bug is still not tracked down yet.

There may be more. I seem to recall there's something in the TCP/IP
stack but it has never bit me so I don't know the details.

The point is - you *don't* want an unstable operating system on a
production machine. It's best we all wait until these get solved.

Yes, theoretically there could be a release with these known bugs still
unresolved, but I recall at least one previous release that did that
(IIRC 6.0 with (g)vinum was unbootable under some circustances) and that
has resulted in a bunch of negative press toward FreeBSD.