syslog marking sendmail output as "kernel:"

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Wed Oct 17 10:07:04 PDT 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 6:01 PM, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> There must be somewhere in the kernel where we're writing to the
> syslog with an empty error string.  The syslog routines expect a
> newline-terminated character string, so the lack of a newline
> causes the next entry to be on the same line as the (non-existant)
> kernel message.

Actually, syslog should be just fine without getting a trailing
newline; from the manpage:

"    The message is identical to a printf(3) format string, except
that `%m'
      is replaced by the current error message.  (As denoted by the
global
      variable errno; see strerror(3).)  A trailing newline is added
if none is
      present."

--
-Chuck