Why FreeBSD procfs is so different from the Linux one?

Yuri yuri at rawbw.com
Wed Oct 17 02:49:07 PDT 2007

Hi,

When I look at /proc/PID/ in FreeBSD I see the files:
cmdline ctl     dbregs  etype   file    fpregs  map     mem     note    notepg
regs    rlimit  status
and in Linux:
cmdline  cpu  cwd  environ  exe  fd  maps  mem  mounts  root  stat  statm  status

Why there's such a difference in procfs interface to the process information?

In addition Linux has /proc/self/ link which is named curproc in FreeBSD.

Isn't it better to have the same interface across the systems?

Tyanks,
Yuri