Logitech G15

Bruce Alcock bruce.alcock at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 12:56:12 PDT 2007

--------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Bruce Alcock <bruce.alcock at gmail.com>
Date: Oct 14, 2007 9:49 PM
Subject: Re: Logitech G15
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org

On 10/14/07, Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 08:11:30PM +0200, Bruce Alcock wrote:
> > >
> > It doesn't generate keysyms...hence the problem. Thanks, should've
> mentioned
> > that. Anyone got any ideas how to map keys that don't generate keysyms?
> Or
> > how to make them make keysyms rather?
>
> Does they generate KeyPress and KeyRelease events, with a keycode?  If
> the buttons don't generate events, I think there isn't anything you can
> do with those keys. :-) But if they do, you can assign them a keysym in
> ~/.Xmodmap. See xmodmap(1).
>
> A list of keysyms is available in /usr/local/include/X11/keysymdef.h.
> You should remove the 'XK_' prefix from each keysym, though. I suggest
> you pick a couple of unused ones instead of defining your own.
>
> Roland
> --
> R.F.Smith                                   http://www.xs4all.nl/~rsmith/<http://www.xs4all.nl/%7Ersmith/>
> [plain text _non-HTML_ PGP/GnuPG encrypted/signed email much appreciated]
> pgp: 1A2B 477F 9970 BA3C 2914  B7CE 1277 EFB0 C321 A725 (KeyID: C321A725)

No, it does absolutely nothing. I've mapped keysyms for a multimedia
keyboard with xmodmap before, so I know what I'm doing there. There's a
linux driver program ( http://g15tools.sourceforge.net/) which allows you to
use everything, including the LCD screen on the keyboard. Unfortunately it
requires linux kernel support to work, which obviously I can't give it in
FreeBSD...any ideas? Really keen to just be able to use the extra keys, dont
care about the LCD :-P

Bruce

Let me just add to that: I've compiled g15tools and g15daemon and installed
them in FreeBSD...when I run the g15daemon program i get:
An Error Occured - 2 : ( Unable to initialize keyboard ) received
Which I think is because it tries to load itself into the linux kernel at
that point...

Regards
Bruce