rpc_lockd and syslogd

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Sat Oct 13 06:45:29 PDT 2007

On Saturday 13 October 2007 14:37:30 mr. phreak wrote:
> > Message: 16 Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 01:06:26 +0200 From: Mel
> > <fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> Subject: Re: rpc_lockd and syslogd
> > To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Message-ID:
> > <200710130106.26923.fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net> Content-Type:
> > text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" On Saturday 13 October 2007 00:41:31

> > Or the solution is specifying a pid file on a memory disk? I can't think
> > of any issues with /var/run being /dev/md*, but there might some. In any
> > case, syslogd_flags="-s -P /tmp/syslogd.pid" should work as well. The
> > issue I see with that is that /etc/rc.d/syslogd doesn't expose it's
> > pidfile for outside configuration.
> -- Mel Since I don't have memorydisks, only nfs-mounts (/tmp and /var)
> the problem still remains. It's really a chicken-egg problem and I can't
> find any new point of view to tackle the issue. The best would be if
> someone successfully have altered the rc.d-scrips for a correct rcorder
> and would like to share it - i.e rpc_lockd BEFORE syslogd. J

You can't spare 4MB of memory for a memory disk? On my system /var/run isn't
even 100k so you can probably do with 256KB one to be on the safe side. View
mount_mfs(8) for more info.

If you can't, I don't think poking around with rcorder(8) is a good thing. But
you can perhaps set syslogd_enable to "NO" and start it from an @reboot
crontab. This would cause some boot logging to be lost, but rpc_lockd would
start before syslog.

Or you can send-pr(1) and request support for rpc_lockd being started before
syslogd.
--
Mel