Questions about HUP'ing nfsd

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sat Oct 13 01:05:32 PDT 2007

At 10:25 AM 10/12/2007, Michael Smith wrote:
>Hello All:
>
>We have a NAS that's running 6.2 with nfds, mountd, rpc_statd,
>rpcbind and rpc_lockd.  Last night we had a scenario where nfs
>clients, once disconnected, couldn't reconnect to the NAS, reporting
>RPC timeouts.
>
>We attempted to restart all of the services above in various orders,
>but we were not able to get the clients reconnected.  We ultimately
>rebooted the NAS server and all was well.
>
>My question is, in troubleshooting this sort of thing, is there a
>proper sequence for stopping and restarting the various services
>associated with nfs?   Any hints would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Mike

I wouldn't know the right order, and even if you did stop and start
everything in the right order, it may not fix the problem.  Your problem
could be in the network stack, or someplace else.  That is why I usually:
"If in doubt, reboot it out"

Your users already couldn't connect correctly, so no real harm in a reboot.

         -Derek

believed to be clean.