Recent branching of CURRENT

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Fri Oct 12 16:07:13 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 13, 2007 at 12:52:00AM +0200, Mel wrote:
> On Friday 12 October 2007 23:15:32 Kris Kennaway wrote:
> > Per olof Ljungmark wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Just out of curiosity, why did I fail to notice the branching of
> > > RELENG_7 and 8-CURRENT? I'm subscribed to -stable, -current and
> > > -announce.
> >
> > Because it's an administrative change that is just a normal part of the
> > release engineering process.  i.e. 7.0 is not released etc.
>
> And RELENG_7 is not considered the 'stable' branch yet, but 8-CURRENT is just
> forked for development of entirely new features?

RELENG_7 was forked in preperation for the upcoming 7.0 release.  That meant
 -CURRENT could be unfrozen so that new features can be added.  (And since
the current -CURRENT will eventually lead up to an 8.0 release it is now
called 8-CURRENT rather than 7-CURRENT.)

Personally I would not consider RELENG_7 to be a real 'stable' branch until
after 7.0 has been officially released (or at least not until the RELENG_7_0
release branch has been created and RELENG_7 been unfrozen.)

> I.o.w. do we 2 current or 2
> stable branches now?

We have many more than 2 stable branches: RELENG_6.  RELENG_4, RELENG_3, RELENG_5,
RELENG_2_2, etc.  Most of them are no longer in active development, but
you never know when some committer sees fit to backport something to an
older branch.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson