Howto: Prepare USB key with FreeDOS using FreeBSD

O. Hartmann ohartman at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Oct 12 09:34:56 PDT 2007

Hello.

Well, I have a bunch of TYAN S2925B based boxes, all without floppy
drives. For BIOS flash preparation I need an installation media and due
to the fact I do not have a Windows XP box or FreeDOS box I need my
laptop for creation of a bootable USB key media with the appropriate
BIOS flash images and flashing tools.
It seems to be a desaster. Every Wiki I visited looking for the subject
referes to Gentoo/FreeDOS or highly complicated voodoo sessions
installing first some files on floppy drive and the creating a bootable
USB key ... blabla.
Sorry, but I do not have FreeDOS running nor do I have Linux/Gentoo or
Windows XP, I run FreeBSD on all of my machines. But in the age of
legacy free computers, were floppy drives seems to be not essential
anymore I run into massif problems having a legacy free server from TYAN
without the ability taking any BIOS images from an USB key :-( The
problem is I picked up some memory issues which have been solved with
one of the newer BIOS images so I desperately need an update solution.

Does anyone do have an idea?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Oliver