1 TB data copy

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 06:49:23 PDT 2007

On 10/12/07, CyberLeo Kitsana <cyberleo at cyberleo.net> wrote:
> Bill Moran wrote:
> > I'm not completely up to speed with FreeBSD's NTFS support.  Last I looked
> > at it, it was experimental and there were warnings everywhere.  I assume
> > it's improved since then (~3 years ago) but can't say with authority.
>
> As I recall, the native FreeBSD NTFS support is read-only. However, the
> NTFS-3g project has a mostly complete (and pretty safe) read/write
> implementation as a FUSE program, which can be found in ports:
>
> sysutils/fusefs-ntfs
> sysutils/ntfsprogs

FreeBSD NTFS is not read only, but there are restrictions on what it
can write. To quote the man page:

     There is limited writing ability.  Limitations: file must be nonresident
     and must not contain any sparses (uninitialized areas); compressed files
     are also not supported.  The file name must not contain multibyte charac-
     ters.

If your file name uses only ASCII characters, you will be probably be
OK using mount_ntfs to write to an NTFS filesystem. I've used it for
years, but mostly for reading files. The few times I've used it for
writing, it worked fine. I think you are most likely to have problems
if you use it to edit an existing file.

- Bob