/usr/X11R6 before /usr/local in ldconfig?

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Thu Oct 11 06:13:10 PDT 2007

Joshua Isom <jrisom at gmail.com> writes:

> I noticed the other that that in -STABLE that /usr/X11R6 was in front
> of /usr/local for libraries.  This results in any port that uses a
> library from another port to look for /usr/X11R6 first, and then
> /usr/local.  I don't know if this would cause any real problems other
> than confusion for people, but with the Xorg upgrade that installs
> into /usr/local, is this just an oversight?  I'm not too familiar with
> the details of how FreeBSD loads libraries(although I have noticed at
> least one peculiarity), so I don't know if any serious issues can
> happen(I renamed X11R6 and things worked ok).

Preference between the two locations only matters if a particular
library exists in different versions in both places.  Once the two
places have been consolidated, this is impossible.  Otherwise, it's
still not something you want to do without a really good reason.
So I don't see any issue to solve here.