Installing freeBSD on an Intel RAID5 partition

Jeff Mohler speedtoys.racing at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 20:22:40 PDT 2007

SATA drives just aint built with the same resiliency as SCSI, hence
the massive difference in cost.

So..as an example, the Hitachi 500G 7K500 drive has a non recoverable
bitrate of 1 in 10^14th.  The 10K300 FCAL (basically scsi) drive is 1
in 10^16th.  Those two zeros mean a _lot_.

I removed a lot of my own math here, knowing that Ive read this
somewhere before..huzzah for google!

http://blogs.netapp.com/dave/2006/03/expect_double_d.html?no_prefetch=1

Im used to working with much larger drives, in very large RGs..so Im
correctable, youre not going to play with the devil TOO much in a home
for small business system, just not enough drives.

But now you can find 1TB drives, and 7 of those in a raid wont be hard
to find pretty soon.

Eventually..you will hit a non recoverable bit error during a
reconstruction, and you wont have parity to go to, to recover it.
Unless youre using a dual parity layout of some type.

Drives are also more common to fail when put into use from being
spares, because theyve never been exercised over a long period of
time..ya never know.

The quality of the firmware that operates consumer SATA isnt near the
level of quality that server drives are either, which can create ghost
errors that dont truly exist, but to the OS are in fact errors which
can shave off a few zeros as well.