I am looking for a bandwidth limiter tool as to time and kilobytes.

Svein Halvor Halvorsen svein.h at lvor.halvorsen.cc
Sun Oct 7 13:21:47 PDT 2007

Halid Faith wrote:
> Hello
>
> I use dummynet to limit bandwidth on freebsd6.2.
>
> But I don't know how I limit an ip blocks as to time ( for instance like 1 Gbyte in 1 month ).
>
> I am looking for a tool which provides to limit bytes according to time.
>
> is there any free tool for this case?
>
> Thanks already

I used to live at a campus dorm where you would get 10 Gbit outbound
traffic per 24h. If you used more than that, they would cut your
access for 48h for the first violation, then for a week on the next
violation. You would get no warning.

Although this often was more than enough, I guarded myself, by
monitoring my network usage. After 8 Gbit outbound traffic, I would
throttle my bandwidth to say 1 Mbps, and when hitting 9 GBit, to say
100 kbps, and so on.

(Actually this was more granulated, with some traffic cut off
earlier than some higher prioritized traffic)

I used some ipfw counters, and a cron job to parse the output of
ipfw show. Then I would enable some dummynet rules accordingly.

This was some years ago under 4.8, I think.
Now, I think pf has better support for this kinds of setup.

	Svein Halvor