good replacement for open office

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at msu.edu
Sat Oct 6 18:50:50 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 09:34:41AM -0500, icantthinkofone wrote:

> Erich Dollansky wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >do you really want the world to know what you are writing?
> >
> >icantthinkofone wrote:
> >>Frank Jahnke wrote:
> >>>

> >>Why not use Google Docs?
> >
> >And ask NSA in case you need a backup?
> >
> >Erich
> >
> Some guy from ComputerWorld was on NPR (National Public Radio) yesterday
> and claimed security is fine on all online services like this.
> Mentioned Google specifically.

Depends on what you mean by security.
They are reasonably OK if you mean sending in your payment
for something, though not unbreakable.
But, for documents that live there for a while, not only are they
all very penetrable, but susceptable to being coerced by governments
to reveal what we would normally think would be secret and private.
Google has also provided information to the Chinese government about
users and so have several other companies.

////jerry