C++ Compiler On FreeBSD

Christopher Nehren apeiron+usenet at coitusmentis.info
Sat Oct 6 17:04:45 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-06, James Jeffery top-posted.
[ please don't do that, it makes it very difficult to format responses
correctly and makes it just about as hard to read and understand them ]
> Hi all, thanks for the fast replys, much appreciated.
>
> Manolis: Yep, its the book by Jesse, i never believe them when they say
> "in 24 hours", its a snag for them to sell the book, they just split it up
> into 24 sections to make it look like its possible.

I'd personally consider getting a better book. Generally, as has been
said, the "learn X in Y units_of_time" books are titled that way for
marketability. You can't *possibly* learn C++ in 10 minutes, 24 hours,
21 days, or even a year. See also http://norvig.com/21-days.html and
http://accu.org/index.php/book_reviews for book reviews.

> Roland: Ive been working with PHP over the past 2 years, i understand
> the basics such as data types, functions, arrays, variables, objects ect,
> but i want to challenge myself and learn something that will benifit me
> when looking for work after uni, i've got another 4 years of learning before
> i complete my software engineering degree.

PHP isn't really a programming language. It's more a fancy templating
system that happens to be able to use extensions that can provide C
style linkage. That said, I laude you for your desire to learn a real
programming language, and agree with the recommendation that you start
with something a bit higher level. Perl, for example, ships with
absolutely top-notch documentation, and generally speaking, its
third-party extensions have similar documentation quality.

Best Regards,
Christopher Nehren
--
<apeiron> Yaakov, And it seems to me that the only people going on about
"freedom" these days are RMS and Bush.