BASH as root shell (static linking)

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sat Oct 6 04:09:38 PDT 2007

On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 05:52
freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org said 'Who you talkin' to?
You talkin' to freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org? I didn't do
nuttin'. I said:

> Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:09:46 -0400
> From: Jerry McAllister <jerrymc at msu.edu>
> Subject: Re: BASH as root shell (static linking)

> On Sat, Oct 06, 2007 at 12:32:22AM +0100, RW wrote:

... [deletia - wjv]

> Or, maybe the OP managed to get it put in the /etc/passwd entry.

> Anyway, I prefer tcsh, but if the OP just has to have it bash,
> it is easy to do.

> All the OP has to do is install bash from /usr/ports/shells/bash
> and then edit /etc/passwd to change the last field for toor
> - after the last colon - to point to where it installs bash
> (/usr/local/bin/bash maybe) and then it should all be fine.

No really - because in the original post the OP says he
wanted to use this when only / was mounted.

That means he should put his bash in /bin and make an entry
to the /etc/shells.

I do with ksh - my prefered shell for the last umpteen years.
If you do have a shell you want to use all the time it had
better be in /bin cause you will be lost if you get into single
user mode from something like a crash and need to run utilities.

Bill

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com