BASH as root shell (static linking)

Jerahmy Pocott quakenet1 at optusnet.com.au
Sat Oct 6 02:57:07 PDT 2007

On 06/10/2007, at 3:25 PM, Old Ranger wrote:

> Hey look,
> BASH is not a UNIX shell.
> BASH occurred with Linux then carried over into FreeBSD.
> While it has "some" advantages, it is still a bastard.
>
> UNIX is written in "C"
>
> Want the best you can get?  Use "tcsh" as a shell and let the linux
> community do whatever they want.

I know a lot of elitists detest BASH, especially in the Linux camp
(probably because zomg we can't use
the default shell, we might be conforming to something and that's
totally un-linuxy).

But BASH is an excellent shell with most of the features from csh and
ksh as well as the ability to run
sh scripts. It was built to be POSIX compliant, not built for linux..
But this is all besides the point, I didn't ask
what people think of BASH >.<

I didn't ask how to set it as the root shell, what I asked about was
creating a statically linked binary
of BASH so that I COULD use it as the root shell! So that it could be
used without /usr mountable..

Oh well..