minimal install is too big

Erik Cederstrand erik at cederstrand.dk
Thu Oct 4 22:49:00 PDT 2007

Tim Judd wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Recently, for pure entertainment and a little bit of a experience
> thing, I have been looking and/or finding many devices that have linux
> embedded.  While in of itself the fact that it works, I'm not
> discounting.  But I'd like to expand it or get it running on a system
> that I am familiar with.  So I was playing with the idea of using
> FreeBSD on such devices, and I would deal with the individual hardware
> specs if I could get the general system small enough.
>
> The minimal install of FreeBSD as from the developers is about 130MB.
> I want to get something working on a 8MB flash. (For those curious,
> it's a ethernet NAS device)
>
> picobsd is discontinued, nanobsd claims it can fit in 64MB.  I'd even
> go with some NetBSD flavor, as long as it's not "linux."  I've done
> some research and would like to see this happen, but may just end up
> using the GPL code from Linksys to get it working as I need it to.
>
> Thanks for any update/idea/clue.

I guess the answer is "depends on what you need". The most minimal
system (just a prompt and a few utilities in from /rescue) would
probably be mfsroot.gz from the installation media. It's around 4MB -
you can add your own utilities from there, but it's a bit tedious to
find out exactly which files, utilities and libraries you need. An
alternative would be to have your root filesystem NFS-mounted. That way,
you only need a kernel and a few boot files on the flash to boot, if
your device doesn't support PXE.

There are a lot of tips in the "FreeBSD from Scratch" article [1]. Also,
Erik Nørgaard's "PXEBoot Guide"[2] has lots of good info on net-booting.
   And then there's of course FreeNAS[3] if you can get it running on
your device.

Erik

[1] http://freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/fbsd-from-scratch/
[2] http://www.locolomo.org/pub/pxeboot/article.html