autoconf failure

Chad Perrin perrin at apotheon.com
Thu Oct 4 14:15:21 PDT 2007

First, portversion reports as follows:

  # portversion -v|grep -v =
  autoconf-2.53_4             <  needs updating (port has 2.61_2)
  autoconf-2.59_3             <  needs updating (port has 2.61_2)

Then, /usr/ports/UPDATING fails to note anything about the new autoconf
version other than the following:

  The ports tree has been migrated to the latest version of autoconf,
  2.61.  Versions 2.53 and 2.59 were declared obsolete and removed.

Finally, using portupgrade to try to update my autoconf version yields
the following results:

  ===>   autoconf-2.61_2 is already installed
        You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
        by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
        If you really wish to overwrite the old port of devel/autoconf261
        without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
        in your environment or the "make install" command line.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf261.
  *** Error code 1

  Stop in /usr/ports/devel/autoconf261.
  ** Command failed [exit code 1]: /usr/bin/script -qa \
  /tmp/portupgrade.31535.1 env UPGRADE_TOOL=portupgrade \
  UPGRADE_PORT=autoconf-2.53_4 UPGRADE_PORT_VER=2.53_4 make reinstall
  --->  Restoring the old version

I also get this:

  ** Port marked as IGNORE: x11-servers/xorg-server-snap:
  	is outdated

I'm not entirely sure what that's about.

I imagine it wouldn't be safe to `make deinstall` all things autoconf,
then try to `make install` autoconf.  Am I wrong about that?  Is there
some other way to fix this?  Have I overlooked something obvious?

Larry Wall: "A script is what you give the actors.  A program is what you
give the audience."