Managing very large files

Heiko Wundram (Beenic) wundram at beenic.net
Thu Oct 4 13:22:28 PDT 2007

Am Donnerstag 04 Oktober 2007 22:16:29 schrieb Steve Bertrand:
> This is what I am afraid of. Just out of curiosity, if I did try to read
> the entire file into a Perl variable all at once, would the box panic,
> or as the saying goes 'what could possibly go wrong'?

Perl most certainly wouldn't make the box panic (at least I hope so :-)), but
would barf and quit at some point in time when it can't allocate any more
memory (because all memory is in use). Meanwhile, your swap would've filled
up completely, and your box would've become totally unresponsive, which goes
away instantly the second Perl is dead/quits.

Try it. ;-) (at your own risk)

--
Heiko Wundram
Product & Application Development