Problems with www.freebsd.org

George Fazio gfazio at n3gqf.us
Thu Oct 4 09:19:27 PDT 2007

On Mon, 1 Oct 2007, Fernando Apesteguía wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm having some problems with the FreeBSD site. Basically, when I type
> www.freebsd.org in the address bar in Firefox I can't access the web.
> I get always a timeout.
>
> The funny thing is that I can do ping and if I use the IP address I
> can access the main page, but then most of the links are not working
> for me.

I've seen this issue on my machines sparactically as well.  Last night, I
could not get to www.freebsd.org.  Fetch was reporting "No route to host",
when I did a traceroute it was dying on a Yahoo router ... I didn't think
to write it down at the time so I can't tell you which one.  I'm on
Comcast in the Philly area of PA for reference.  It came out of Comcast,
went to Level3 and then to Yahoo. Oh, and I wasn't even able to ping it in
my case.

Hope this helps someone track it down.  I can currently traceroute all the
way to the site, so whatever the issue is it seems to not be an issue at
the moment.  But, I've seen this at least twice in recent memory, so
something appears to be flakey somewhere.

George