Sendmail IP interface assignment -- how to?

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Oct 4 08:28:56 PDT 2007

On 2007-10-04 10:32, Rob <bitabyss at gmail.com> wrote:
>Matthew Seaman wrote:
>> You also need:
>> FEATURE(no_default_msa)
>> otherwise, you're definitely heading in the right direction.
>
> Thanks, Matthew!  That was the piece I was missing.  I tried my
> Daemon_Options above, but found out its presence does not disable the
> default config to listen on all interfaces.  I got it working by
> directly editing the .cf, but your trick does it from the macro
> config.
>
> The final result ended up as:
> FEATURE(no_default_msa)dnl  # turn off MSA on all ports; only ue what's in Daemon_Options
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=127.0.0.1,Name=MTA')
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=smtp,Addr=172.23.23.10,Name=MTA')
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=2525,Addr=172.23.23.10,Name=MTA')dnl  # smtp on alt port
> DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Port=587,Addr=127.0.0.1,Name=MSA,M=E')
>
> Once I knew the right keywords to google, I found this article that might
> be of use to others:  "Five Tips for a Better sendmail Configuration"
> http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/15/sendmail.html?page=1

Interesting bit of online posting, but watch out for misinformation or
even outdated information though.

The article may seem useful for `no_default_msa', but it also contains a
wealth of bogus stuff like:

    "There are good reasons to compile your own copy of sendmail
    instead of using the copy provided to you as part of your
    Unix distribution.  First, the copy of sendmail included in
    your Unix distribution is probably grossly out of date.
    sendmail changes frequently, and some of these changes
    provide critical security fixes. Sticking with an outdated
    copy of sendmail is just asking for trouble."

In the case of FreeBSD, this is usually wrong, and bad advice.  We have
a pretty active Sendmail maintainer, Gregory Shapiro, who is also part
of the Sendmail development team.  Whenever a new release of Sendmail is
out, Mr. Shapiro updates the Sendmail version of FreeBSD-CURRENT and
after a reasonable amount of testing (usually a few days, to make sure
nothing was broken) "backports" the upgraded version to FreeBSD-STABLE.

The quoted paragraph may be true for a semi-random Linux distribution,
but this is FreeBSD; we don't usually do stuff by "manually compiling
and merrily hacking away at whatever we fancied this afternoon" :-)

Just $0.02 of a long-time Sendmail fan,

- Giorgos