security patches and release number question

Manolis Kiagias sonicy at otenet.gr
Thu Oct 4 06:02:48 PDT 2007

Duane Winner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Question about patch numbers and applying patches:
>
> Last night, I got the openssl security advisory, and this morning am
> starting to patch my servers.
>
> I've always just done a "make build world; make build kernel; make
> install kernel; make install world" when I've need to patch.
>
> Today, however, I thought I would just try to do the patch on the
> openssl libs as described in the advisory. I think it worked just
> fine, but my question is this:
>
> How do I keep track of which systems I've patched if I just do a
> "patch < patchfile" instead of the whole world/kernel thing?
>
> uname -an still shows 6.2-RELEASE-p7 instead of "p8"; I use this to
> keep track of which servers I've patched and which I haven't.
>
> Is there a way to handle this?
>
> Thanks,
> DW

This seems to be a common question among the "freebsd-update" utility
users as well (like myself :)).
The short answer is, the p-something number changes only if you
recompile the kernel after such an update.
So, if you just need this change to be reflected in your uname -a
output, just make buildkernel / make installkernel

Manolis