.PICT mac file

jekillen jekillen at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 3 16:26:49 PDT 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 6:42 AM, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> Hi everyone,
> I have a load of .pict files which I can't seem to be able to open
> with anything under FBSD. I just want to convert them into something
> more useful (jpg / tiff / svg).
>
> ImageMagick doesn't understand it, so i think this is the Packbits
> compressed .PICT filetype. neither Gimp or XV like them either.
>
> file doesn't identify the files either.
>
> Alternatively, any tool I can script under OSX to conver them to
> something useful? (FYI, 'Preview' under Tiger doens't recognise them
> either, but I can drag them just fine into an Omnigraffle Pro
> diagram).
>
> One of these files is at
> http://www.meijome.net/files/freebsd/image64.pict
>
> thanks,
> Beto
> _________________________
> {Beto|Norberto|Numard} Meijome
>
> "Intellectual: 'Someone who has been educated beyond his/her
> intelligence'"
>    Arthur C. Clarke, from "3001, The Final Odyssey", Sources.
>
> I speak for myself, not my employer. Contents may be hot. Slippery
> when wet. Reading disclaimers makes you go blind. Writing them is
> worse. You have been Warned.

You may have to use a program like Photoshop; Mac version to do the
work. I have been using Mac since 1996 and have seen pict files but
have avoided them mostly
in favor of tif or jpeg. I do not have any Classic Mac installations
and do not do graphics as much as I used to but I don't recall even
seeing pict as a file option for
graphics software on Mac, Photoshop, or other program that edits image
files.
Since X11 can be installed on OSX and Gimp will run on Mac under X11, I
would think that it would have accommodation for that.
I just launched it and did not see that as a save as option. There is a
stripped down version of Photoshop available, Photoshop Elements
that may do it without the cost of Photoshop.
But there is probably someone with more knowledge on this than I.
Good Luck;
Jeff k