Where do I find the PERL compatible functions for php

Mel fbsd.questions at rachie.is-a-geek.net
Wed Oct 3 15:25:32 PDT 2007

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 16:49:04 Andrew Falanga wrote:

> One question I have for the maintainers of these ports and the ports
> infrastructure, why are these all listed in different places?
>
> /usr/ports/devel/php5-pcre/
> /usr/ports/textproc/php5-xml/
> /usr/ports/www/php5-session/
>
> Not that these categories are wrong, or don't make sense, but why wouldn't
> they all be lumped under /usr/ports/lang, or /usr/ports/devel or something
> like that?

Same reason libvorbis is in audio rather then under lang/ even though it can
only be used in c/c++ directly. Ports are classified by function, not by
language, since primarily you look for functionality.
For example, finding all php5 ports that deal with databases (a common query)
would be impossible if they're stacked in lang/, while it's easy now:
cat /usr/ports/databases/php5-*/pkg-descr|less

--
Mel