Need help/advice with gmirror after server crash

Eric Crist mnslinky at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 12:11:37 PDT 2007

On Oct 2, 2007, at 12:46 PMOct 2, 2007, Alexey A. Ukhov wrote:

> Hello all colleagues.
>
> I have the following problem.
> I had server with 2 SATA drives worked in gmirror.
> Recently we had crash of third (system) HDD.
> After FreeBSD reinstalation I see in dmesg:
> ad2: 238475MB <Seagate ST3250620A 3.AAD> at ata1-master UDMA100
> ad3: 238475MB <Seagate ST3250620A 3.AAD> at ata1-slave UDMA100
>
> And do not see any UFS file slices, partitions, etc.
>
> In /dev I have only /dev/ad2 and /dev/ad3
>
> Mounting is impossible also:
> *sml# mount /dev/ad2 /mnt*
> mount: /dev/ad2: Operation not permitted

I'm guessing you reinstalled FreeBSD on another drive, and are trying
to get your data partition back.  Did you remember to load the GEOM
kernel module for gmirror?  If this isn't loaded, you won't be able
to work with the drives.

IIRC, you can load it by either adding geom_mirror_load="YES" to /
boot/loader.conf or by typeing 'gmirror' at the command line.  You
should then be able to mount /dev/mirror/gmX, where X is the mirror
number.

HTH
-----
Eric F Crist