Problem Solved:- Re: Long msg: Unable to enable audio in FreeBSD 6.2 - Chipset VT8233A

Sai Vinob saivinob at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 2 11:00:43 PDT 2007

--- "Alain G. Fabry" <alainfabry at belgacom.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 02, 2007 at 12:36:37PM +0200, Erik Trulsson wrote:
>
> > That chipset is not a VT8233A. It is a Via VT8237A.
> > The snd_hda(4) driver should work for that chip.
> > I don't think that driver was included in 6.2-RELEASE, so you might
> have
> > to upgrade to the latest -STABLE if you have not already done so,
> >
> > (In case someone wonders:  No, the VT8237 and the VT8237A are
> > not the same chip.  The most obvious is which audio driver is
> needed (snd_via8233
> > vs snd_hda))
>

> I'm running driver snd_hda in 6.2 and works great thanks to somebody
> on the list. He gave me
> the following info
>
> Download the precompiled kernel module from here:
>
> http://people.freebsd.org/~ariff/lowlatency/
>
> Decompress the archive, copy sound.ko and snd_hda.ko to /boot/kernel
> (you may as well copy all the .ko files, but these two are the ones
> needed)
> then do (as root) a kldload snd_hda  ( and add  snd_hda_load="YES" to
> /boot/loader.conf so it loads with each reboot).
>
> > Hope this helps.
>
> > _Alain

It indeed helped Alain. Thanks a lot. First I recompiled my kernel as I
had compiled it to load snd_via8233(Was that necessary?). I then copied
sound.ko and snd_hda.ko to /boot/kernel and edited /boot/loader.conf to
load snd_hda at boot-time.

cat /dev/sndstat now shows,
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm: 64bit 2007100200/i386)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <VIA VT8251/8237A High Definition Audio Controller> at memory
0xfbefc000 irq 17 kld snd_hda [20070930_0048] [MPSAFE] (1p:1v/1r:1v
channels duplex default)

The problem has been solved. Thanks again Alain.

Thanks to Erik for pointing me to a silly but major mistake- the
chipset being VT8237A and not VT8233A. Thanks also for landing me at
Ch.23. But I guess I need sometime to digest the information given
there.

Thanks also to Dominique for interest shown in solving my problem. Hope
the solution benifits him too.

--Sai Vinob

      Bring your gang together - do your thing. Go to http://in.promos.yahoo.com/groups