Video chipset hardware list

Bob Johnson fbsdlists at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 15:02:02 PDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Harry Matthiesen Jensen <freebsd at elgert.dk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have tried to lookup a hardware list  "video chipset supported"
> on x.org, but for some reason I can't find anything.
>
> Is there a good hint where to find it?

I have had pretty good results looking at man pages for individual
drivers. If you already have a system and want to estimate your chance
of success, this is a good approach. For example, the radeon(4x) page
correctly fails to list my RV516 chipset as supported... 8(    And
nVidia also provides proprietary FreeBSD drivers for their chipsets,
so their website may be helpful. I don't know if ATI's proprietary
driver is usable on FreeBSD.

Keep in mind that the vesa driver will get almost anything working,
although without the full performance of a chipset-specific driver.
The "Xorg -configure" command is quite good at selecting the correct
driver, so it is often easier to just try it and see what happens
rather than reading a lot of driver documentation to see if your
chipset is supported.

The x.org web site is a poor place to look for documentation, so you
should probably look at the man pages at freebsd.org if you haven't
already installed x.org on your system.

Good luck!

- Bob