K3b

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Wed Nov 28 19:57:30 PST 2007

ajtiM wrote:
> On Sunday 25 November 2007 21:58:03 you wrote:
>
>> ajtiM wrote:
>>
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am new with FreeBSD. I installed one day ago 7.0 beta3 and I try to
>>> learn and setup the system.
>>> When I start K3b (KDE) I got a message:
>>>
>>> "No CD/DVD writer found.
>>> K3b did not find an optical writing device in your system. Thus, you will
>>> not be able to burn CDs or DVDs. However, you can still use other K3b
>>> features like audio track extraction or audio transcoding or ISO9660
>>> image creation."
>>>
>>> I tired as user and as root but resul is the same.
>>>
>>> BTW: under Linux I didn't have a problem
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>> You have not done your homework.
>>
>> Probably the following would be enough
>>
>> [pedja@ /usr/home/Pedja]$ more /boot/loader.conf
>> atapicam_load="YES"
>> hw.ata.ata_dma="1"
>> hw.ata.atapi_dma="1"
>>

>> You also need to add the following into your /etc/devfs.conf file
>>
>> # Allow members of the group operator to mount CD-ROMs.
>>
>> perm      /dev/acd0   0666
>> perm      /dev/cd0    0666
>>
>> # Commonly used by many ports
>> link  cd0 cdrom
>> link  cd0  dvd
>> link  cd0  rdvd
>>
>> link  acd0 cdrom
>> link  acd0 dvd
>> link  acd0 rdvd
>>

>> # Misc other devices
>>
>> perm    cdrom   0666
>> perm    dvd     0666
>> perm    rdvd    0666
>> perm    xpt0    0666
>> perm    pass0   0666
>>
>> I am not sure if you need HAL as mine is ON  on this computer  on
>> which  K3b  works  flawlessly. You will have to read handbook and
>> the following is useful  http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/.
>>

>> BTW: I really gets annoyed when people say by the way it works in Linux,
>> Windows, Solaris or whatever.
>> What is that suppose to mean?
>>
> That is nothing wrong with hardware :)

I realized that. I hope you saw my apology. I do know however why you
can not use it as a user. You have to mount the disk on the file system
that belongs to you not the root.

So edit your /etc/fstab file as this

#These are my options
/dev/cd0     /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0
/dev/acd0    /usr/home/Pedja/mnt/cdrom cd9660   rw, noauto      0       0

and you should be good too go. That was exactly what I meant by saying
that I do not know if you need HAL.
You do not need HAL but you need to edit your /etc/fstab.

Cheers,
Predrag