ataidle - causing apache & cvs timeouts

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed Nov 28 14:05:50 PST 2007

I'm running ataidle on my personal server to save electricity.
However, every time it has to spin up a drive whatever I'm accessing
(apache, cvs, etc) gives an error instead of waiting for the disk.  If
I then access it again after a couple seconds once the disk is active
it works fine.  Any idea how to fix this?

Relevant parts of dmesg:

ad7: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 retrying (1 retry left) LBA=640790375
ad7: TIMEOUT - READ_DMA48 retrying (0 retries left) LBA=640790375
ad7: FAILURE - READ_DMA48 timed out LBA=640790375

Thanks,
Steve