2nd try : tap SIOCIFCREATE failure

Philip M. Gollucci pgollucci at riderway.com
Wed Nov 28 06:09:58 PST 2007

Alain G. Fabry wrote:
> When creating the tap interface, my system gives the following
>
> FreeBSD# uname -a
> FreeBSD FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE
> FreeBSD# kldstat
> Id Refs Address    Size     Name
>  1   11 0xc0400000 6f7554   kernel
>  2    1 0xc0af8000 140c0    snd_hda.ko
>  3    2 0xc0b0d000 479a8    sound.ko
>  4    1 0xc0b55000 1d278    kqemu.ko
>  5    1 0xc0b73000 8ea4     aio.ko
>  6    1 0xc4f44000 9000     if_bridge.ko
>  7    1 0xc5079000 16000    linux.ko
>  8    1 0xc60ce000 4000     if_tap.ko
> FreeBSD# ifconfig tap0 create
> ifconfig: SIOCIFCREATE: Invalid argument
I never had to manually issue the create command, you should just see it
in the ifconfig -a output.

When qemu starts, "Opened by process id <id>" should be in the ifconfig
output by the tap0 interface.

You'll need to use the /etc/qemuifup or whatever its called, I forget.
Or the command line options to set networking info like netmask, ip,
gateway for the tap.

Philip M. Gollucci (philip at ridecharge.com)
o:703.549.2050x206
Senior System Admin - Riderway, Inc.
http://riderway.com / http://ridecharge.com
1024D/EC88A0BF 0DE5 C55C 6BF3 B235 2DAB  B89E 1324 9B4F EC88 A0BF

Work like you don't need the money,
love like you'll never get hurt,
and dance like nobody's watching.