HP Deskjet 9800 with hpijs driver

Predrag Punosevac punosevac at math.arizona.edu
Mon Nov 26 00:04:14 PST 2007

Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:

> Erin McNew wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get my photo printer working recently, and seem to have
>> run into a bit of a snag.  I just tried to print out a picture as a test,
>> and instead of a picture, I got: PCL commands across the top of one page of
>> photo paper, and the printer spewed the rest of my paper out empty (taught
>> me an important lesson about testing without having large quantities of
>> photo paper in the printer...)
>> Anyway, I was looking on google, and I don't seem to see other people
>>
> having
>
>> this problem, but I'm not sure what I could've done wrong.  I'm using the
>> hpijs driver, which is supposed to work perfectly under linux, and works
>> perfectly for my other hp printer.  Is this printer just not supported by
>> FreeBSD?  I couldn't find anything that stated directly either way in my
>> quick googling, so I was hoping somebody here might have some ideas for
>> things to check, etc.
>>

> My 6980 has the same problem with hpijs and hplip... try cups (it
> should autodetect)

Printing under Linux and FreeBSD are for all practical purposes
identical. If it works under Linux is should work under FreeBSD.
Which printer spooler are you using LPD, LPRng, CUPS, HPLIP/CUPS or PDQ?

I personally like to use native LPD spooler. Since your printer is
supported by hpijs the driver is included in apsfilter (or apsfilter
will install hpijs port by default) which  you compile form ports
/usr/ports/print/apsfilter

lpd_enable="YES" in  /etc/rc.conf file

Alter the permission so that the daemon can access the printer as

/etc/devfs.conf

perm lpt0 0666 #for parallel port printer
perm ulpt0 0666 #for USB printer

Then cd /usr/local/share/apsfilter and run the script ./SETUP

The rest is self-explanatory. If you get a message about your version of
ghostscript just ignore. You probably have much newer version of
Ghostscript than apsfilter expect to find.
The apsfilter is more than a filter. It will help you edit your printcup
file, it will convert files to ps and finally it will let you choose the
drivers .
The only drivers which from the apsfilter list are gutenprint drivers.
If you need them make sure your compile gutenprint with the tag
without CUPS.

If you need more complicated printer policies you probably want to use
LPRng or CUPS.

This is the link to beautiful HPLIP  how to
http://dsteinbrook.googlepages.com/hpliponfreebsd
Make sure you read the thing about the kernel.

Bare in mind couple of thins. HPLIP does not support parallel port
printers! Whatever they say on HPLIP forum is lie. They do not despite
the fact that hpijs did. They support parallel port printers which are
free standing printer servers via the web not by attaching them directly.

The proper way to enable HPLIP is to start HPLIP daemons first and than
CUPS daemon by let say editing /etc/rc.conf file and rebooting.
The proper way to add the printer to HPLIP is to use CUPS
http://localhost:631 and add the printer and then use HPLIP-toolbox and
other
goodies.

HPLIP will just unlock full functionality of your printer. (Toner
status, all in one devices etc)

Do not forget to put lpd_enable="NO" in /etc/rc.conf and hide native
lp,lps,lpr,lpq commands so that you can use the same CUPS commands.

If you need PPD file for your printer you can download from
http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting
but you can also generate your own using foomantic-rip.

I gave you sort of general how to. If you have more specific questions
and can generate some log files that would help a lot.

Cheers,
Predrag