dealing with a failing drive

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Nov 24 12:38:34 PST 2007

The output of idacontrol show will show if one of the
hard disks in the SmartArray has failed.  Your choice with
a hardware array is to either run it with redundancy or not.
(ie: raid5 or mirroring or striping)  You have to choose
which is more important for you.

IMHO it is very foolish to stripe an array that you have
critical data on and assume that you can predict a failure
of a disk using smart or other monitoring, and replace it
in advance of a failure.  If your concern is redundancy, then
add more disks to the array and create a raid 5 or a mirror.
Then ignore all the predictive junk and let the array card
concern itself with detecting if a drive has failed.  Run
idacontrol periodically out of a script that checks for a
failure of a disk and e-mails you if there is one.

Ted