routing problem

RW fbsd06 at mlists.homeunix.com
Sat Nov 24 10:40:19 PST 2007

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 13:41:51 -0200
"Alaor Barroso de Carvalho Neto" <alaorneto at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2007/11/24, Ian Smith <smithi at nimnet.asn.au>:
> >
> > No I didn't mean that; use your own favourite packet filter, any of
> > them can handle what you've described.  Bill suggested pf - lots of
> > people seem to like it a lot - and I use ipfw because I (mostly)
> > know how to.
>

> I always had linux servers, so I'm very familiar with iptables, I
> don't have a favorite BSD firewall yet, so that's why I'm asking. I
> choose ipfilter because I liked the tutorial in the FreeBSD handbook,
> but I don't know any features of the others, I even don't know
> ipfilter yet.

IPFilter was OpenBSD's old firewall, but because of its restrictive
licence PF was developed  and IPFilter was dropped from OpenBSD.

The two firewalls use a very similar syntax. Unless you have a good
reason to use IPFilter, it's probably better to start with PF, the
documentation on the OpenBSD site is pretty good.