Unexpected shutdown

Roland Smith rsmith at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 19 11:04:27 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 03:55:42AM +0100, n j wrote:
> Hello Randy, Roland, Gary,
>
> > UPS drivers can shut the system down, but you seemed to have ruled
> > that out?
>
> The UPS is present, but I never set up and configured anything (no
> snmp or any other agents) that would give the UPS the permission to
> shutdown the machine and besides there are more machines on the same
> UPS that continued to work just fine, so I guess that UPS is ruled
> out, yes.
>
> > It could be triggered by the acpi_thermal driver. Check system
> > temperatures with sysctl or mbmon.
>
> This is actually what I was looking for, even if it turns out it is
> not the solution: a pointer to a useful port plus pointer to reading
> the temperatures with sysctl. That kind of things makes the -questions
> an invaluable resource.

:-)

> That remark led me to discover the following:
>
> - kldstat shows acpi.ko loaded
> - sysctl has no acpi thermal variables whatsoever!

It depends on the mobo and the acpi tables if it works. It works on my
laptop but not on my destop for instance.

> which further led me to check for acpi thermal variables on another
> FreeBSD 6.2 (non-Dell) server and sure they were there. So it seems
> that acpi thermal is not working (is perhaps "blacklisted", a term I
> noticed in the man page) on Dell Poweredge (in this case PE 1750 as
> well as PE 750) servers. Anyone can verify this?

Well, if it's not the ups nor a thermal overload, I guess the obvious
solution is that some joker gave a shutdown command with a 3am time. :-)

According to shutdown(8) there should be a message in the log stating
when the system went down, who did it and why.

Or maybe there is a script that calls shutdown under some circumstances?

Roland