FreeBSD router and WCCP

Andrew Pantyukhin infofarmer at FreeBSD.org
Mon Nov 19 07:33:05 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 19, 2007 at 10:10:43AM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:

> > ipfw forwarding is a very easy way to redirect traffic without
> > changing it. PF has similar functionality. It all depends on what
> > the appliance supports. If wccp is the only way it can eat
> > packets, try playing with gre(4). But maybe it'll consume just
> > plain packets with "wrong" IP destinations arriving on its MAC
> > address, just the way squid on FreeBSD does.
> >
> > BTW, if the appliance supports ICAP, you'll be much better off
> > running squid on a FreeBSD box and filtering content through
> > ICAP.
>
> The appliance does indeed have ICAP capabilities, but I have never
> dabbled with it before.
>
> I am familiar with IPFW, but I'd like to know all options in order to
> choose the best one.
>
> I would very much prefer to do this in a way without having to have
> Squid running on the box, but will if I have to.

If filtering is all you want, you don't have to set up squid as a
caching proxy. I.e. it won't need much RAM and disk space. I have
yet to set up ICAP (with c-icap) in our workshop, but from
discussions on squid mailing lists it seems ICAP is in a pretty
usable state, both in squid 2.x and 3.x.